In the heart of the Garden Route, there is the Wilderness National Park. Nature trails wind through thick forest and along relaxing rivers; look out for the brightly colored Knysna lourie, or one of the many kingfisher species that are homed in the Wilderness area. In the spring months, many beautiful colored flowers grace the ground and provide a beautiful picnic spot. Wilderness National Park begins in the west by the Touw River mouth and carries on till the Swartvlei estuary where it joins with the Goukamma Nature Reserve, giving protection to five lakes and the Serpentine, a winding ribbon of water joining Island Lake to the Touw River.
Wilderness National Park offers many activities, for all ages. Dolphins can be seen throughout the year from Dolphin Point, and whales can be viewed during the end of winter and the spring months. Hire Canoeing, cycling, abseiling, paragliding and hang-gliding are all there for your enjoyment. There are activities for all ages and abilities, wander along a forest path or visit the bird hide and discover the riches of bird life. Camping spots are available under the stars alongside the river as well as log cabins.
How to get there
The park is situated close to the N2 highway, 15km from George, 315km from Port Elisabeth and 415km from Cape Town. Therefore the closest airport is at George, where car hire facilities are available. Access and internal roads are graveled.
1. Aziza Guest House is located in an up-market suburb George, boasting the Outeniqua Mountains as a backdrop. It provides guests with a peaceful retreat at the heart of the Garden Route.
2. Acorn Guest House is situated in the heart of George, within walking distance of all the major restaurants and neighboring the magnificent old Dutch Reformed Church, a monument worth visiting.
3. Boardwalk Lodge is located within the Wilderness National Park Conservancy, and is a short stroll from the beach, lake and village.
4. Cinnamon Boutique Hotel is found in the heart of Wilderness, in a town along South Africa's famous Garden Route. This boutique hotel has superb design and relaxing atmosphere.
5. Far Hills Country Hotel is located halfway between the historic town of George and Wilderness.
6. Hildesheim Guest House is situated along South Africa's scenic Garden Route. It enjoys a peaceful setting in the heart of Wilderness National Park and provides guests with a comfortable base.
7. Lodge on the Lake Accommodation and Spa is found on the outskirts of Wilderness, on the world-renowned Garden Route.
8. Mont Fleur is nestled in the Wilderness Nature Reserve, boasting breathtaking views of the ocean and lagoon. A haven for nature lovers and outdoor enthusiasts, Mont Fleur B&B is the ideal base from which to discover the Garden Route and its many beaches and hiking trails.
9. Moontide Guest Lodge is located at the heart of the Garden Route, allowing for great further explorations and just 2 minutes from Wilderness Beach. It has a relaxed, calm and stimulating environment throughout the property, creating a comforting ambience for guests.
10. Oakhurst Hotel is positioned in the Garden Route and George's business centre, and offers comfortable accommodation that is ideal for travelers wishing to combine business with pleasure.
11. Tendele Bed & Breakfast is nestled on the dunes of a coastal forest and is a bird watchers paradise. It boasts spectacular views of Island Lake.
12. Waterside Lodge is located at the heart of the Garden Route and offers guests stylish accommodation in a beautiful setting. All of the guest rooms boast stunning views of either the lagoon or mountains.
13. Whispering Oaks Guest House is sited in the city of George and offers visitors quiet and comfortable accommodation in the heart of the Garden Route.
14. Wilderness Beach Hotel and Spa is situated in the beautiful coastal town of Wilderness. Standing right at the waters edge, the hotel offers beautiful views and easy access to the beach.
15. Xanadu Guest Villa is located right on Wilderness beach and is known as a jewel along the picturesque Garden Route.
Africa Safaris and Tours - One Stop Point for all Africa Safaris!