In the furthest corner of Chobe National Park lies the forgotten paradise of Linyanti. The Linyanti River forms a natural border between Namibia and Botswana. The river's course makes a 90-degree change from south-east to north-east and inside the corner a swamp has formed (on the Namibian side) similar in appearance to the Okavango Delta.
On the southern banks of the Linyanti River (in Botswana) is the Linyanti Wildlife Reserve. Here the marsh subsides into lagoons and steadily flowing rivers with riverine forests of jackal berry and sausage trees leading to open grasslands, and dry inland wooded areas. The wildlife is plentiful, especially in the dry winter months (April – October) when great concentrations of elephant, buffalo and zebra congregate along the river, with giraffe, impala and roan antelope being seen in the forests. Thousands of zebra spend the winter in the Linyanti before heading south to the Savuti in November in expectation of summer rains and good grazing.
The particularly beautiful sable and roan antelopes are found here and red lechwe and the aquatic sitatunga antelope inhabit the wetlands. The main predators are lion, leopard, cheetah, wild dog and hyena. A smaller carnivore and efficient predator sometimes seen, is the serval. The birdlife is diverse, if not overwhelming in its numbers. Water birds, including pelican, are common.
Accommodation in Savuti and Linyanti
Linyanti and Savuti is the quieter section of Chobe National Park, and it’s the place to visit if you are looking for peaceful and remote lodges and camps. The following is a variety of our preferred lodges and camps in the Linyanti and Savuti Area.
1. Duma Tau Camp is located within the Linyanti concession which is bordered to the east by Chobe National Park. You can access Duma tau camp by air.
2. Zibadianja Camp is located in the eastern area of The Selinda Reserve, near the Zibadianja Lagoon and getting there, one has to use air means.
3. Savuti Safari Lodge is located in the Savute area, Chobe National Park having timber and glass suites. One can get there using fly-ins or road transfer.
4. Savuti Camp is accessed by air into Chobe and is located within Linyanti concession along Savuti Channel, 17kms from its source (North Botswana)
5. Selinda Camp is located at the banks of the eastern Selinda Spillway in the Selinda and can be accessed using air.
6. Kings Pool Camp is located in North Botswana, situated between Okavango & Chobe - within private Linyanti Concession. You can get there by air into Kings Pool airstrip.
7. Linyanti Tented Camp is located at Linyanti Wildlife Reserve. It is a casual and intimate tented camp between the Okavango Delta and the Linyanti wetlands.
8. Three Baobabs is located on a private 45ha farm, 55km northeast from Savute and 140km southwest from Kasane, so it is ideally positioned to explore both these wildlife regions.
Africa Safaris and Tours - One Stop Point for all Africa Safaris!